Monday, February 29, 2016

Reflections on MLS Cup Final

This was originally published as a Massive Report Fan Post on December 6, 2015.

I don’t know what is more devastating… being humiliated in the first round, or plowing through the playoffs and losing in the final. I hate that I now know what it feels like to be a Revs fan. I hate that we had to lose at home in the 20th season, when Don Garber has stated that he would continue to evaluate changes to the playoff structure, presumably to benefit the large media market teams. This is the first time since 2002 that a team lost MLS Cup at home. And it sucks that we won’t get Champions League, even though only about 200 fans probably care about.

 

I have to stay off of social media for my sanity. I wanted to get all of my thoughts out immediately after the game. If you’re looking for in-depth analysis, stats, and soccer strategy… I’m sorry, but I will not deliver!

 

This was a game where we can point a lot of fingers. The first goal fiasco. The second goal disaster where players were ball-watching when a call wasn’t made, when every 3 year old is taught to "play the whistle." For our goal-scorers and play-makers who did not have perfect games. For one player who stayed on the ground the whole match. But, there’s no need to call anybody out by name. It’s up to them to learn and grow.

 

The refereeing. Wow. I have complained a lot about the refereeing. But I have never, never, never blamed a loss on a referee. This game almost changes that. It seemed as if refereeing staff had a directive from MLS – call the game for the Timbers. How else can you explain the sheer number of no-calls, like an elbow to Kamara’s head. Or in 68’, when Marrufo inexplicably overruled the linesmen to call a corner.

 

I wish I had it on video, but I was standing next to Evonne S. on the west side as the referees were given their medals. As soon as Marrufo left the stage, he took off his medal, folded it up in his hand, and hung his head low. It was eerily reminiscent of Messi winning the Golden Ball in the 2014 World Cup.

 

Although Crew SC players should have done better, the blown call on the second goal changed the dynamic of the game. The Timbers parked the bus after that second goal. Crew SC dominated from 15’ to 35’. There were some scary back-and-forths between the 35’ and 45’. I quipped that they were playing like I play FIFA during that interval. Crew SC played pretty well in the second half, but they ultimately could not tip the bus. Kudos to the Timbers for taking advantage of an early lead, sticking to a game plan, and not conceding. There were also opportunities for Crew SC to score that they were unable to capitalize on. So, no, it wasn’t the ref’s fault, but we shouldn’t even be talking about the ref after an MLS Cup Final.

 

However, there’s a lot to be proud of for Crew SC. I know that many of you will immediately call "Sunshine Brigade" and stop reading. But hear me out. And allow me to explain later on a personal note. (That’s a tease!)

 

The goalkeeper who mishandled the first goal made at least three key saves off the line the remainder of the game… and that includes using his "junk" once! The substitutes showed that if Crew SC won, they would win as a team… and would lose as a team. They never… ever… stopped trying. I know that effort alone does not win sports matches, but I was so proud of Crew SC for fighting to the last whistle.

 

Crew SC wasn’t supposed to be here. Columbus is a small media market. Nobody thought they would get a bye. Nobody thought they would beat Drogba and Montreal. Nobody thought we would beat Marsh and Red Bull New York.

 

As a Columbus resident and fan who sits in the premier east, I was momentarily embarrassed to be a Crew SC fan when folks in the Nordecke threw beer cans on the pitch after the second goal. That’s the moment that I felt like my face could be on the "sad Michigan fan" memes that Buckeyes love. I thought, "This could be a 5-0 humiliation." But it wasn’t. Crew SC pressed on, even after the stands were momentarily lost.

 

The goal that Crew SC did score was from Kamara, who was poised, calm, and experienced. Many would have floundered at that opportunity.

 

Then in about 88’ minute, I teared up. I’m not one to be emotional about sports. I love watching soccer, but I will wake up tomorrow if my team wins or loses. Had we won the Cup, we’d wake up in March to a new season that could be crap or great, just like we will now. It’s the futility, or beauty, of sports. I’ll explain in a few paragraphs. (Another tease.)

 

Why did I tear up in 88’? I was thinking about the family that I now have. The friends that I have made from all walks of life. People with whom I agree with or disagree with politically and spiritually. People who sit in my section that also attend my church. The people in my section I know by name. The large number of people who said "Hi Todd" as I walked around the stadium, whether it was a member of the organization, a fan, a member of the media, or even someone I didn’t recognize who probably knew my photo from Twitter!

 

Now it gets personal. When I was in grade school, I was the fat, un-athletic nerd. I liked books. I liked getting good grades. I didn’t like sports. I was terrible at sports. I got picked on, harassed, and bullied. I put way too much stock in what people thought of me. Some of that carried on into undergrad school. Some of that baggage still came with me through law school. I was a worry wart and saw everything negatively. That is not a fun way to live. But as I lived on my own and branched out, I was slowly able to shed that. I learned to see the positive in everything. It was my Christian faith that taught me that there was hope. Also, it is my Crew SC family.

 

When I came to Columbus in 2008, I knew nobody. I didn’t know that MLS existed. I didn’t know that Columbus had an MLS team. I didn’t know that Columbus’ MLS team won it all in 2008! This was the climate of soccer in 2008. I was blessed to be fast friends (friends for a day, brothers for life) with by best friend at church in Columbus.

 

While in law school, from 2008 – 2011, when I found out about Crew SC, I tried to get people to go to games with me. Nobody would. As many of you know, that was a pretty dark period of time for the club. Still, I finally decided I was going to go to a match, even if it was alone. After going to a few games… in 2014, I became a season ticket member, a part of the aforementioned family.

 

I’m not a sports nut, but I found myself having difficulty concentrating all week. I was nervous. My heart was racing. I had excitement. I had dread. This was going to be something special. And it was. Columbus got to host an MLS Cup Final. The local media (kind of) started to pay attention. The team that was constantly referred to as "middle-to-bottom end of the table" or "mediocre" or "average" was in the MLS Cup Final against all odds. At home.

 

Am I saddened and disappointed by the loss tonight? Absolutely, it sucks and is a punch in the gut! But do I think that there is no hope and that life cannot go on? No. And that’s probably the primary reason I’m a card-carrying founding member of the Sunshine Brigade. I choose to see the positive in everything as a way of thinking. You may disagree with me, and probably do. And that’s OK. It’s what makes us unique as humans!

 

But I cannot stop going on being thankful for this season. For a team who loves its city, interacts with its fans, and plays great soccer! For fans of the team from many walks of life who I am lucky to call my friends. I mean look at the Alejandro Moreno chant, and how touched he was by it! How can one not be excited about that?

There’s always 2016 after the shortest offseason… And I’ll be there, win, lose, or draw. And I hope to see you there too, my massive friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment