Sunday, March 12, 2017

2017 Game 2: HOU v. CLB 3/11/17

I thought I'd write some more stuff due to response from last week and as I attempt to resurrect Podcast For Columbus! The tradeoff is that this won't be polished work, but more of stream of consciousness.

Player rankings:
Artur – 4
Afful – 5
Finlay – 6
Higuain – 3
Kamara – 4
Mensah – 5
Meram – 6
Næss – 5
Raitala – 5
Steffen – 5
Trapp – 5
Maloney – 6
Abu – 5
Jahn – 4

Gregg – 5 He continues to insist on certain game play without making changes. He waited way too long to take Artur off.

Referee – 7 Overall, Penso did fine. He did miss a few points that are points of emphasis this year.  As you all know, I love analyzing the Law and referee decisions, so I am in no way shape or form even hinting that the referee made the Crew lose the game.

However, I believe we had a PK shout in 24' as Næss got bear-hugged to the ground. "This was holding and pushing in the penalty area."



In addition, Penso completely ignored two delayed restarts.

First, in 33', Ellis stands over the free kick so Næss can't take it quickly. Even as Penso tells him to go away, he doesn't move. Næss kicks it back. I wish he had kicked it into Ellis to draw the encroachment yellow. Pipa is going to get booked for a lot of these this year, so it's only fair.



Second, in 38', I start the gif as the whistle is blown. Ricardo Clark throws the ball away intentionally right in view of Penso.


One call Penso got absolutely correct was the "act of visual dissent" from Ethan Finlay in 59'. Other than Afful slamming the turf in frustration last week after conceding, this team needs passion from somebody.



Finally, the red card. I think that the red card to Mensah in 87' was proper under the Law, even though it was harsh. I don't see it being overturned. Mensah was not in control of his body and had a high boot with studs exposed. I believe that it was a tackle that endangered the safety of an opponent worthy of a sending-off. I think Penso could have used some game management and issued a yellow instead, because it was clearly a slip.

I also enjoyed Finlay giving it to Pipa after a pretty horrible pass. Pipa was having another off night. After being so excited about the way he played in off-season, his slowness showed again. As I said last year (and got accused of hating all season), I really want to see Meram take the #10 role. Put Martinez or Artur or Maloney on the wing. We could be a counter-attacking team.

I realize this is his first MLS start, but Artur was like a little kid "helping" you make a cake. He had a lot of energy and drive, but wasn't really doing anything to help the recipe. I hope it's just early jitters and that he gets acclimated, but when Gregg finally subbed him off in 58', I said "It's about time."

I was impressed with Maloney coming on as a kid fresh out of college. He also needs development, but I think he had a good mind for our type of play and a great work ethic. This is not to say that he's better than Afful or that Afful was poor, but he's a kid to watch out for. I enjoyed watching him play for Penn State, too.

Steffen. Yes, Steffen made a blunder. At least it was the his second start for the team.... not the Championship game after 2 full seasons. I believe now is the time to learn. And he will work out. He looked upset. The defense did him no favors on that second goal. And even Nauer couldn't have stopped that third goal. Great goals deserve respect, and that was a great strike.

Speaking of the second goal, why does Gregg refuse to put a man on the post?? I'm not a tactician by any means, but the stubbornness of no man on the goalpost, and zonal marking on set pieces is infuriating at times. We're just as terrible defending set pieces.

On the other hand, I am very excited to see Finlay take the corners. Our offensive corners were MUCH better than they have been. Mensah almost got a goal, and Næss almost got a goal. I'm confident that we will see at least one Finlay --> Mensah goal this season! Maybe next game, where Finlay would become the 5th Crew player to get 30 goals and 30 assists.

Also, we need an offensive piece in the next transfer window. I'm not worried about Finlay and Meram. I am worried about Pipa being way past his prime and being way too slow. I'm also worried about Ola, who should be putting away a lot more goals. If we can get a tall striker like Kei, and an excellent #10, we would be a team to reckon with. 

Twitter and Facebook are filled with #SackBerhalter comments. I think that is premature. Last July, I said that I'd give him 10 games.



Regardless, I don't think Precourt is firing Gregg this season unless we get no wins.

Oh, and it looks like Gregg may be starting to get some of that passion, too. I can't recall ever seeing him 'discuss' with the refs after a game.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work on this blog. It's good reading another perspective. And I look forward to reading more! I'm so disappointed in Pipa's start to the season and of course only 1 point out of 6.

    ReplyDelete