Friday, February 24, 2017

2017 MLS Jerseys

It's time to rate all of the jerseys again. (See last year's post here!)

1) Crew SC - No bias here. Although I didn't hate the #ForColumbus kit last year, there is nothing to hate about Crew SC's new jersey this year, as they come in at number 1. I never care about the little elements like the flag or the jock tag or the wording in the collar nobody will see... but I the returning yellow with black v-neck and sleeve trim. It looks sharp. 3 of the last 4 years had some element of the checkerboard flag in it, so I hope we have something really creative for 2018.





2) Atlanta - Adidas and Nike like to use templates. As you can see this year, a lot of teams got caught up with templates. Not Atlanta. I love the wide vertical stripes. I think it looks sharp. At least the gold lettering and stripes aren't yellow. That's ours.


3) Toronto FC - Toronto has managed to be the only one to keep the sharp gray and red shades. I really like both of these colors, and they blend well in this kit, and there are some subtle shading tones that I really like in jerseys.



5) Dynamo - I was really hoping that our setup would be yellow with black horizontal stripes. I know it's simple, but I really like this template. 
5) DC - This is going to be very unpopular, but I like the DC kit, even with the chest six-pack. I understand that something being different doesn't make it good... but this is the only kit that really tried to do something different, and they get props for it.

6) Bridgeview F*re - I know I'm supposed to hate all things F*re... but I love they symplicity of this shirt. At least there are different shades and some effort (see RSL below).






7) Minnesota - I typically hate sashes. On the U.S., on LA, I don't care. They look terrible. But I think this teal and gray color combo looks good. I don't understand why the numbers on the back aren't teal, but I like it. I do think that the shirt sponsor will cause lots of red cards to the opposition.



 8) Portland - I love the subtle horizontal lines and this shade of green. The badge looks a little off-colored, though. I also dislike the button placket Adidas decided to use this season. And that star... 😖


9) Red Bull -It's hard to make a Red Bull New York shirt look good when you have to have that horrendously huge logo on every single time. (Having it on the bade is not enough.) But I like the unique laser element. Also, wait until you see how awful the bottom half of this year's jerseys are.


10) San Jose - The 90s called and they want their jersey back. San Jose barely made it in the top half because of the other horrible jerseys.


11) Orlando - I usually look forward to that rich Orlando purple. But they messed it up by making it dull and lifeless and adding that button placket.






12) Philly - It's really hard to make a jersey look cool with BIMBO plastered on it (even if it is pronounced BEEM-BO). At least it's not primarily that ugly brown color. 




13) New England - This is pretty terrible, but at least it's better than last year's effort. Instead of claiming a city, state, or region with their jock tag, they're claiming America, which is cool, I guess.









14) FC Dallas - Decent effort to create a sky and add stars to their jersey, but it's hard to like weird jerseys that are off the team's colors. (And that button placket. Ugh.)


15) Montreal - Montreal is also one of those jerseys I look forward to, but this one left me feeling wanting something a little bit more.


16) Seattle - Cool teal color, really ugly collar, and a bit too plain. You also lose points for your borderline lies. At least you didn't say "Continuously since 1974."


17) Vancouver - Rain jersey? RAIN jersey? RAIN JERSEY? This was a poorly conceived idea, and a poorly executed idea, in my opinion.



18) LA Galaxy - So the team with all the money and stars can't be bothered to create something unique? I guess they don't need to.


19) NYCFC -Without the orange trim, you'd swear this was just another Manchester City jersey.



20) Atlanta - Yes, Atlanta gets two bites at the apple. For doing so well with their other jersey, they really missed the mark with this one. It looks like something you would use as a rag to clean or paint or sleep in.



20) Colorado - No. Yellow is not your color. This is hideous.



21) Sporting Kansas City - I always look forward to SKC's kits. That awesome black argyle kit. The beautiful white kit with silver letters. But what is this?! It is more Manchester City than NYCFC!! The rugby collar is terrible, too.


22) Real Salt Lake - Zero for zero effort. It's just a white T-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment